Sunday, 7 December 2014

Knowing When To Say Enough

You may have noticed that I have not had any posts lately for Lia Stampz.  I made the difficult decision to step down from the Design Team.  I had several reasons but one of the top ones was that I had to face the fact that I was just not good at colouring images.  I have invested in Copic markers as well as Spectrum Noir markers.  It hasn't been cheap even though I don't have all of the colours.  I tried watching countless YouTube videos showing shading and using colourless blenders.  I realize that practice makes perfect but so many times I could've sworn that a child in kindergarten could've done a better job.  LOL  Every couple of weeks I was expected to come up with a card, a tag or some sort of project using an image that I had to colour and I tell you it was stressing me out to the point where I wasn't enjoying it so I made the decision to step down.  As I said there were other reasons as well but this was a biggie.  I will still try out for other Design Teams but I doubt it will be for any companies where I have to colour images and make them my focal point on a card.  I would very much like to try for a DT where paper is the focus.  I can come up with my own designs but focus on the paper. 

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, Marianne! Kindergarten, huh? lol Sometimes we are our own worst critic! I do hope you haven't packed the markers up for good. Maybe just some colouring for fun will be more enjoyable. You CAN do it, you know! :o)

Marianne Grimbly said...

Thanks Nancy! You are always so encouraging to me! Yes, colouring for fun is the plan. No more putting pressure on myself. Perhaps once I get better it will be time to enter a few challenges and then maybe a DT but for now it's just for fun. :)

Nancy said...

That sounds like a great plan! :o)

Karen Shirey said...

You are great at coloring Marianne.. but I know exactly how you feel if it is pressure on you. When it is not fun, it is no longer anything to be interested in.
so keep on keeping on my friend. your work is always beautiful!
hugs